The USAID Feed the Future Liberia Agribusiness Development Activity (FTF LADA) is designed to provide broad support to agricultural development and food security initiatives at the community and national levels in Liberia. The Activity supports forging innovative partnerships with the private sector to leverage new resources and maximize impact in support of its development efforts. The goal of the Activity is to expand access and use of agricultural inputs, and post-harvest handling, processing, packaging and marketing services, broadly applicable to raising incomes for Liberian small-holder farmers (SHF).
The FTF LADA Agribusiness/Private Sector Advisor (A/PSA) serves as the principal advisor to the Chief of Party (COP) on agribusiness, private sector, and small enterprise development. The PSA provides technical leadership for activities that cover production, processing, and marketing of agricultural products, including value-added manufactured products. The PSA works closely with relevant partners and line ministries to enhance and engage private sector development and investment in activity field sites.
The A/PSA plays a key role in facilitating agricultural investment and access to finance for SME’s. The position reports to the Chief of Party and supervises the Component 1 and 2 Leads, as well as a team of approximately 25 field office staff.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee Components 1 and 2 of LADA implementation, including planning and execution of trainings, activities and program outreach with and through the program technical staff;
- Manage the development of grant applications and assessments of potential grantees under the Co-Investment Fund and facilitate pipeline development;
- Ensure supervisees are coordinating effectively with the program operations team to guarantee smooth execution of activities in compliance with USAID and CNFA regulations and policies;
- Coordinate and review weekly and quarterly report contributions from the technical team for submission to USAID;
- Provide a strong focus on business planning and access to finance facilitation for agribusinesses in the up-country areas of Liberia;
- Assist in the development of the agro-input association and contribute to efforts to improve the for-profit delivery of agro-inputs by local businesses;
- Upon request, represent the LADA team and the project’s interests/activities at public functions and coordination meetings, serving as lead technical advisor.
- 10+ years of experience in the technical areas of agribusiness and/or small enterprise development (production agriculture, processing, and marketing of agricultural products) is required; experience in rice, cassava, cocoa, horticulture, or aquaculture value chains is preferred;
- Experience in business planning and access to finance facilitation for agribusinesses in rural areas, with a focus on value chain development;
- Liberia or West Africa experience is required;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead private-sector interventions to foster increased agribusiness sales and growth;
- Bachelor’s degree in related field is required; Master’s degree is strongly preferred;
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of local languages is preferred.
Location: Monrovia, Liberia with frequent travel to Bong, Nimba, and Lofa counties
Period of performance: March 16 – May 31, 2017