STTA: Inclusive Economic Growth (Youth Economic Empowerment and Inclusion in Agricultural Value Chain Development)
The USAID Agriculture Program is a five-year activity that aims to accelerate growth of agricultural sub-sectors that demonstrate strong potential to create jobs and increase incomes and revenues of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs). The USAID Agriculture Program will deliver firm-level investment and tailor-made technical assistance to entrepreneurial, market-driven enterprises, production clusters and supporting associations and service/information/extension providers to foster inclusive and sustainable market systems development. The USAID Agriculture Program will provide competitive cost-shared grants and technical assistance to address identified gaps in targeted value chains that will result in the improved productivity and production capacity of MSMEs, strengthened value chain linkages, increased access to markets, and improved capacity of MSMEs, cooperatives, associations and service/information/extension providers.
The USAID Agriculture Program will be implemented through two integrated, mutually reinforcing components: cost-share grants and technical assistance. These components will be directed and informed by a value chain prioritization and gap assessment, which will identify specific product/market combinations that can sustainably increase incomes, employment and MSME revenues.
The USAID Agriculture Program aims to ensure inclusiveness within its enterprise development programming through specific activities that advance and promote the roles of women and young people in agriculture and agribusiness.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide high-level technical advice to the USAID Agriculture Program’s Gender Specialist on economic empowerment and inclusion among youth in agricultural value chain development. During this assignment, the consultant will develop detailed recommendations on how to advance and promote the role of youth in agriculture and agribusiness. The consultant will complete a report with detailed recommendations no later than March 4th, 2019.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as a resource and coach on economic empowerment and inclusion of youth (young women and young men) in agricultural value chain development;
- Review and analyze relevant project documents;
- Propose to the management team of the USAID Agriculture Program the methodology and design for the rapid assessment of youth inclusion in enterprise development programming, in close cooperation with the Gender Specialist;
- Provide a brief overview of global best practices and lessons learned in the related area;
- Provide high-level technical guidance and recommendations in the drafting of the report;
- Draft the report in collaboration with the Gender Specialist, including a detailed action plan on youth inclusion in the value chains pre-selected by the USAID Agriculture Program;
- Provide necessary coaching to the USAID Agriculture Program Gender Specialist during the rapid assessment.
- Further details will be discussed with short-listed candidates.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS:
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences (international development, economic development, development economics) or other related field (e.g. agribusiness development);
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in inclusive economic growth focused on economic empowerment and inclusion of youth in agricultural value chain development (experience with both youth workforce development and entrepreneurship programs) in different international settings. Experience with agricultural value chain and agribusiness development programs is highly preferred;
- Proven knowledge of global best practices and lessons learned in the related area. Knowledge of modern early stage entrepreneurship programs (e.g. pre-acceleration, start-up booth camps, investment-related crowdfunding, etc.) is highly preferred;
- Proven technical expertise in the relevant field, including conducting similar consultancies and proven technical expertise in developing reports;
- Thorough knowledge of relevant methodologies and best practices for advancing and promoting youth economic empowerment at the global level;
- Fluency in English is required.
TIMING and LEVEL OF EFFORT:
The assignment is expected to occur over the period of January – February 2019, with final deliverables submitted no later than March 4th, 2019. Intermediate deliverables will be agreed upon with the selected candidate and will be included in the final scope of work. The consultancy is expected to combine remote work for the review of documentation, report writing and coaching. Total level of effort will not exceed 15 days.
Qualified candidates should submit the following documents no later than January 20, 2019: 1) Resume/CV highlighting relevant experience, 2) at least three professional references with contact information, 3) writing samples from reports and/or assessments similar to the given scope. Only candidates with proven similar experience will be shortlisted and contacted for the interview.