CNFA is currently seeking a Market Facilitation Technical Lead for the 5 year USAID-funded Liberia Economic Growth and Opportunities (LEGO) Project aimed at addressing the acute and root causes of food and nutrition insecurity and lack of robust livelihoods in Liberia. The project is implemented by Mercy Corps as the lead implementer, and CNFA as one of the sub partners. The project has four components that will focus on 1) strengthening the responsiveness and accountability of community and county-level governance systems; 2) building the capacity of Liberians, including women, youth and minorities, to improve and diversify their livelihoods through expanded knowledge, skills, social cohesion, and infrastructure; 3) improving maternal and child health, nutrition, and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) knowledge and practices based on formative research to create evidence-based social behavior change communications (SBCC); and 4) increasing sustainable and climate-smart agriculture production, and improving the efficiency and inclusiveness of agricultural markets. The Market Facilitation Technical Lead will provide overall leadership and technical guidance to the implementation of component four, relating to agricultural production, and increasing market access, information, and orientation. S/he will provide financial and administrative oversight, and day-to-day management and implementation of CNFA’s project. The Market Facilitation Technical Lead will also oversee staff management to ensure the highest quality of project monitoring, evaluation, reporting, and communications.
This is a full time, 2.5-year Expat position based in Liberia, that will be nationalized at the start of Year 3, resulting in the expat position transitioning out six months into Year 3. This position will work closely with the LEGO Chief of Party in Monrovia on program implementation, and report to CNFA’s VP of Programs on administrative and contractual tasks, based at CNFA’s Home Office in Washington, D.C.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide overall project leadership, management, quality control, and technical leadership and direction to Component 4- Increase sustainable and climate-smart agriculture production, and improve the efficiency and inclusiveness of agricultural markets; while ensuring compliance with USAID requirements and regulations, and CNFA policies and procedures.
- Reference current LADA project marketing initiatives and approaches to implement the input supply and agro-dealer certification program in the project.
- Negotiate Alliances with private sector/SME partners to spur investments and collaborative activities with project staff and partners.
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment on public/private actors’ capacity and partners, market access, input supply, and aquaculture.
- Monitor sectorial policies and regulations affecting the agricultural sector, particularly the cultivation, transformation and trade of food crops.
- Identify obstacles and risks related to implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments to the home office.
- Manage and supervise the work of 7 national staff, consultants, with a focus on achieving work plan targets and core results in a timely manner.
- Oversee field office finances.
- Ensure that all project assistance is technically sound and appropriate.
- Coordinate activities between the field office and CNFA headquarters.
- Lead the development and submission of project reporting to CNFA headquarters and Mercy Corps
- Advanced degree in an economics, agricultural economics, business or related field is required.
- At least 10 years of experience in agricultural development, with an emphasis on Access to agricultural markets;
- Prior work experience in Liberia or region, and with USAID is preferred.
- Proven work experience in business plan development, market research and analysis of agricultural commodities;
- Prior work with staple food crop value chains;
- Demonstrated abilities to design and implement market-responsive interventions that help supply chains grow;
- Ability to analyze quantitatively, to develop cost models, to synthesize and present data in a clear, concise manner;
- Experience leading high performing small groups of host country nationals;
- Excellent Oral and written fluency in English required;
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as well.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel.
- This is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.