Team: Operations and Compliance | Commitment: Career | Location: Washington DC
Under the direction of the Field Operations Accounts Manager (FOAM), the Accountant will provide support and guidance to CNFA Europe/CNFA’s programs by working with the HQ Program Team and in-country management team, particularly, the Finance and Operations staff with tasks related to accounting, banking, budgeting, procurement and financial management to ensure full compliance with rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up, and implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Ensure updated, clear concise written accounting and procurement procedures manuals;
- Manage, reconcile and keep records on Quick books for CNFA Europe.
- Facilitate timely, accurate month-end closing, cash requests and cash reconciliations;
- Support the month-end closing processes to ensure organized, complete, properly approved packages are delivered to CNFA Home Office in accordance with the month-end closing schedule provided by the FOAM and review for completeness and accuracy all month-end accounting information;
- Maintain control over the project filing systems to ensure complete and organized accounting files, especially regarding original procurement documents and personnel salary files;
- Ensure organized and complete accounting file documentation is maintained by the field office and Headquarters and develop procedures for the systematic transfer of all original documentation to Headquarters;
- Employ financial oversight and control mechanisms and procedures to ensure that all program expenses are in accordance with CNFA financial policies, procedures and rules and regulations;
- Review and provide support for the financial aspects of contract execution of local and international sub-implementing partners;
- Develop and periodically update Project Policies and Procedures guidelines for procurement, accounting and budgeting;
- Ensure the smooth implementation of project accounting activities, including (but not limited to): timely and accurate bank reconciliations, invoicing, monitoring of expenditure levels against budget and funding obligations, financial projections and submission of monthly financial reports to CNFA HQ;
- Provide the field finance teams with information and guidance on program financial performance;
- Regularly prepare and present financial reports, analysis, and recommendations concerning relevant financial issues;
- Review partner spending in relation to budgets, and develop monthly budget pipelines for CNFA Europe/CNFA and partner expenditures.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required; degree in accounting, or finance, preferred
- Minimum 3 years of accounting experience
- Understanding of US Government rules and regulations preferred.
- Proficiency in Excel software required;
- A high degree of integrity, accountability, energy and flexibility;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in fast-paced environment;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience with a computerized accounting system; Working experience with Quickbooks required and CostPoint preferred;
- Strong budgeting and analytical capacity;
- Strong conceptual, verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to initiate and organize work while establishing priorities in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment to meet deadlines with attention to detail;
- Ability to develop strong trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results;
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities;
- Ability to work in an environment with international objectives;
- Ability to be flexible and interpersonal skills sufficient to interact with employees at all levels;
- Highly skilled in coordination and project management;
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite;
- Ability to travel up to 10%; and
- US Work authorization required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. CNFA takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.