Team: Programs | Commitment: Consultant | Location: Niger & Burkina Faso
Agricultural Lending Specialist
USAID’s Resilience and Economic Growth in the Sahel – Accelerated Growth (REGIS-AG), implemented by CNFA, is a $ 34 million dollar program, focused on strengthening cowpea, small ruminant and poultry value chains in agro-pastoralist and marginal agricultural zones of Niger and Burkina Faso. By transforming value chain relationships and dynamics to increase their inclusiveness as well as their competitiveness, REGIS-AG will increase the incomes of vulnerable households and build the resilience of families and communities to shocks such as drought, conflict and economic crises.
The objective of this assignment is to increase the understanding of and lending to the agricultural sector by banks in Niger and Burkina Faso. Currently, banks do not see the value and benefits of lending to the agricultural sector and as a result, value chain actors have difficulty gaining access to credit or finding banks with loan products that meet their needs. REGIS-AG seeks to mobilize an access to finance specialist who will conduct a training with targeted banks in Niger and Burkina Faso (especially those with DCA agreements such as Ecobank in Niger) on the potential benefits of lending to the agricultural sector, the needs of actors, the value chain approach, and advise on formulating products and managing risk while lending to agricultural actors. In addition, the consultant will deliver a shortened training to REGIS-AG staff and partners to increase their capacity and understanding of agricultural lending.
The consultant will be required to travel internationally to Niger and Burkina Faso to complete the assignment.
Level of Effort
Up to 32 days, remote and in country
- Review existing material on REGIS-AG, RISE projects, DCA programs in Niger and BF, and other material as applicable to design and adapt training modules to the current environment. Topics to be reviewed specifically on the banks include lending volume, loan size and purpose, and other customer data in order to better understand current bank operations.
- In coordination with the Component 4 Leads, Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party, plan and finalize training schedule, modules, participant list, etc.
- Submit training materials to CNFA HQ for translation to French (if drafted initially in English).
- Mobilize to Niger and Burkina Faso to conduct training both to the targeted banks (travel outside of Ouagadougou and Niamey may be necessary) and to REGIS-AG staff (shortened version)
- Write final report detailing the trip, lessons learned from the training, recommendations to REGIS-AG on next steps
- Travel to Senegal or conduct teleconference with REGIS-AG COR and Field Investment Officer Jenna Diallo to conduct an out brief on the training and takeaways on the banks.
- Design and adapt training modules for REGIS-AG bank training
- Conduct bank trainings with targeted banks in Niger and Burkina Faso
- Conduct shortened trainings on ag lending to REGIS-AG staff and partners.
- Write final report and deliver out brief to COR Jenna Diallo, USAID.
We are seeking to fill this position immediately and will be interviewing qualified candidates on a rolling basis.
Deadline for submission is September 30th.