Team: Programs | Commitment: Career | Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Chief of Party – Liberia Agribusiness Development Activity (LADA)
The Feed the Future Liberia Agribusiness Development Activity is designed to provide broad support to agricultural development and food security initiatives at the community and national levels in Liberia. The Activity supports forging innovative partnerships with the private sector to leverage new resources and maximize impact in support of its development efforts. The goal of the Activity is to expand access and use of agricultural inputs, and post-harvest handling, processing, packaging and marketing services,broadly applicable to raising incomes for Liberian small-holder farmers (SHF).
LADA’s COP will act as the key liaison between USAID/Liberia and all other counterparts, implementing partners and Government of Liberia officials involved with the program. The COP will provide overall leadership, management and general technical direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the contract. The COP will identify issues and risks related to the program implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate program adjustments. The COP will serve as CNFA’s primary representative in Liberia vis-à-vis USAID, the Government of Liberia, and other key stakeholders.
- Lead all aspects of the program including the completion of start-up, management, monitoring and reporting;
- Ensure that CNFA maintains the appropriate legal status (through bilateral agreement coverage or other) to effectively operate in Liberia;
- Lead key stakeholder meetings;
- Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance to the LADA work plan;
- Communicate regularly with USAID-Liberia;
- Provide programmatic guidance to the program staff as well as the implementing partners;
- Develop and maintain a cohesive, effective and integrated team;
- Ensure that the program’s technical approach, methodologies and activities are technically sound, feasible and relevant to the success of the program;
- Oversee the performance of international and local sub-implementers and support productive business partnerships with them;
- Supervise field operations and oversee the implementation of activities;
- Manage the human, equipment and financial resources in the field with strict adherence to CNFA, USAID and the Government of Liberia regulations;
- Develop the project’s network of partners in Liberia including relevant government institutions, private companies, associations, USAID-funded projects and other donors;
- Oversee the preparation of LADA progress reports including quarterly, annual and end of project reports;
- Review all contractual deliverables (value chain strategy, cost benefit analysis, work plans, quarterly and annual reports, grants reports etc.) and outreach materials for thoroughness, accuracy, quality and timely completion;
- Collaborate with CNFA’s LADA Program Management Unit, based in Washington DC, for all issues related to the backstopping of the project;
- Represent LADA as needed at meetings, conferences and other networking events in Liberia and possibly in other countries (with USAID’s approval);
- Ensure that appropriate security procedures are followed by the project staff;
- Make sure the regional and main offices are maintained and functioning properly; and
- Undertake other assignments or tasks at the request of his/her supervisor.
- Required experience: 15+ years of experience in managing donor-funded agricultural development projects; 7 years of experience with promoting agribusiness, private sector led agricultural growth, and value chain development; Experience managing USAID-funded projects with a value greater than $10 million is required.;
- Experience in West Africa is required, preferably in Liberia;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and manage complex development projects with policy elements;
- Experience managing USAID-funded projects strongly preferred;
- Master’s degree in related field is required;
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of local languages is preferred.