Team: Programs | Commitment: Consultant | Location: Pakistan
Consultant – Baseline Analysis
Position: STTA – Consultant, Baseline Analysis
Project Pakistan Agricultural Technology Transfer Activity (PATTA)
Place of Performance: Islamabad, Pakistan, with field travel
Level of Effort: 30 Days
Period of Performance: October – November 2017
Reporting to: Chief of Party/Deputy Chief of Party or his designee
CNFA is an enterprise development organization based in Washington, D.C., dedicated to stimulating sustainable growth in the agricultural sector. CNFA specializes in fostering private sector investments in training, new technologies and marketing as a means to increase the overall competitiveness of agricultural value chains, to expand exports, and to develop skills in the rural workforce. By generating higher incomes for farmers, processors, entrepreneurs and distributors, CNFA helps improve livelihoods and reduce poverty.
CNFA is currently seeking a short-term technical assistance [JG1] (STTA) to help conduct a baseline study for the USAID-funded PATTA project in Pakistan. The purpose of the PATTA is to identify, support and bring to scale private sector solutions to improve agricultural productivity in Pakistan, through a four-year activity. PATTA will partner with agricultural technology companies to commercialize products and services that can increase the productivity and competitiveness of smallholder farmers, and mobilize private sector investment in agricultural technology. PATTA’s partnerships will give smallholder farmers broader access to affordable technologies to increase productivity, build resilience to climate change and reduce postharvest losses.
Expected Results of PATTA:
· Increase smallholder farmers’ access to affordable appropriate and effective agricultural technologies
· Enable agricultural technology-related businesses to expand and adapt their products and services to meet smallholders’ needs
Scale up the adoption and use[JG1] of agricultural technologies
This short-term STTA position will be based in Islamabad (with potential travel to the provinces of Punjab, Sindh, Baluchistan, KPK, and GB). The baseline analysis STTA will conduct baseline analysis of PATTA in close coordination with the Monitoring and Evaluation team.
Outdated and ineffective agricultural technologies are among the leading causes of Pakistan’s inability to reach its agricultural potential. Scaling up the production, distribution, and adoption of agricultural technologies in Pakistan is made challenging by lack of information, difficulty in accessing credit, a wide dispersion of smallholders, as well as the diversity of challenges facing different subsets of smallholder farmers, including women and other marginalized groups.
The PATTA project seeks the services of a qualified short-term senior consultant for a period of 30 days to assist the project in undertaking a baseline and benchmarking study for PATTA and will carry out:
§ Baseline study relevant to PATTA interventions in agricultural technologies
Generate primary data on key indicators to be maintained and updated for the study and put in to the database over the course of project implementation and afterwards
Statistical data on key performance indicators including but not limited to; use of agricultural technologies by the smallholder, proportion of females engaged in the agricultural activities, agricultural machinery companies, volume of their sales, and potential for private sector investments in widespread, affordable technologies.
The consultant will, within the framework of PATTA, review the existing data and reports including published documents. The consultant will work in close collaboration with the M&E team in designing, planning, implementing and reporting the baseline activity.
The consultant, in collaboration with the PATTA team, will pre-test tools that could be used to undertake the baseline study in the project’s targeted areas. PMP indicators related to impact, outcome and output level will be grouped into themes to bring consistency and continuity in the flow of questions in the questionnaires. Keeping in view the diverse nature of the product line, questionnaires will be developed.
The M&E and PATTA technical teams will provide backstopping and coaching throughout the implementation of the baseline study. The M&E team will be remained involved in facilitating & providing technical guidance. The consultant(s) will undertake validation, verification and monitoring of the field investigations. The collected data will be analyzed in the SPSS software and in MS Excel using pivot tables and the cross-tabulation option.
The baseline study consultant and M&E team will assist in baseline data collection relevant to PATTA scope and activities related to target agricultural technologies. The consultant will assist in collecting primary data on key indicators to be maintained and updated in a database during project implementation and afterwards and will collect performance data from PATTA beneficiaries. The following are the major tasks:
· Engage in baseline data collection in close coordination with the M&E team
Conduct primary data collection, including interviews and focus group discussions
Arrange the data collection efforts, ensuring the accuracy of data collection, the timely collection of data and the quality of data collected.
Data management and consolidation through prescribed data collection tools and trackers, and making sure that data is reliable and authentic
Analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data
Submission of data set on Excel and SPSS
- Generate baseline data on the key PMP indicators to be collected and maintained in project database throughout the study based on the outputs/outcomes/impact of the program interventions:
- Inception report and approval of assignment tasks from the project
- Conduct data collection in the field and capture data through set tools.
- Maintain and clean datasets with data captured from fieldwork and labeled data sets in SPSS
- Consolidated data set against PMP Indicators
- Debriefing session about key findings from the baseline study
- Assist in Final report -Must at the minimum include: a clear statement of the objective of the baseline study.
- Present and share findings of baseline analysis with PATTA team and partners.
- The consultant should have:
- Advanced degree in the field of Business Management, Economics, Finance or related field with more than 7 years of professional experience in conducting value chain and baseline studies with USAID funded projects with a focus on the agribusiness & agriculture sector;
- Experience conducting baseline & research studies in agriculture and value chain analysis, and financial analysis;
- Considerable experience in directly conducting and leading baselines, and research projects, in developing countries, preferably in Pakistan.
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis tools and methods.
- Excellent computer skills (Word Processing, Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint);
- Excellent data interpretation skills through SPSS, and advanced data management and analysis abilities
- Excellent report writing skills and proven track record of generating baseline, research and other reports for donors.
- Experience working in complex environments
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written English communication skills.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.