Team: New Business | Commitment: Career | Location: Rwanda
Deputy Chief of Party / Director of Private Sector and Commercial SME Investment – Rwanda Nguriza Nshore
Brief Project Overview
The Rwanda Nguriza Nshore activity aims to drive rural economic growth through facilitating the emergence of a dynamic agribusiness sector by alleviating constraints to investment and by increasing access to financing, Nguriza Nshore will facilitate the creation and growth of small to medium agribusinesses, as an entry point for broader growth, to provide productive employment for rural populations and to reduce poverty.
The Deputy Chief of Party / Director of Private Sector and Commercial SME Investment (DCOP) will provide technical management and support to the overall Nguriza Nshore Activity. S/he will provide technical expertise in identifying and designing key interventions to the 4 key objectives of the activity. The DCOP will work directly with financial institutions and investment entities to develop products and services tailored for SME lending and investment needs. The DCOP will work closely with the Chief of Party to manage the day-to-day operations of the activity. In absence of the COP, the DCOP assumes responsibility for the activity.
- Provide overall leadership, management, and general technical direction of the activity, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the contract
- Experience in financial sector development is preferred, including areas such as banking, finance instrument development, investment management, transaction facililation, and market development.
- Lead, coordinate, and advise the technical units to achieve program objectives throughout Rwanda
- Act as key liaison between USAID and all other counterparts, implementing partners, and Government of Rwanda officials involved in the program
- Oversee and approve work plans, budgets, reports, and other deliverables, ensuring quality and compliance
- Guide the Finance, Operations, and Compliance unit to ensure the alignment of technical, security, financial, and administrative requirements
- Ensure adherence to local laws, USAID rules and regulations, and CNFA policies and procedures
- Communicate regularly with the home office CNFA Program Director about activity progress against technical and financial objectives
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning unit to integrate findings and promote thought leadership and learning on off-farm agribusiness finance, investment, business development services, policy, and other relevant topics
- Manage local and international subcontractors to meet or exceed technical and financial contractual requirements
- Represent the Nguriza Nshore activity at related meetings and events
The Ideal Candidate’s Experience
- Seven (7) years of experience or more in managing and implementing multi-faceted private investments, job creation, and agribusiness development programs
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in private sector development, engaging with host government partners in private sector policy-making, or SME promotion in Sub-Saharan Africa is desired
- Experience that demonstrates a solid foundation in financial sector development is preferred, including areas such as banking, financial instrument development, investment management, transaction facilitation, and market development
- Strong SME development experience is preferred
- Firm-level capacity-building of investment institutions and/or businesses is preferred;
- Experience working with private investors, including angel investors, private equity firms, and venture capital firms, is preferred;
- Experience working with investment promotion or entrepreneurship support agencies in Rwanda is preferred;
- Demonstrated success improving lenders’ ability to assess risks/returns of new investments is a distinct asset;
- Experience working on USAID-funded or other international donor-funded projects is preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, finance, international development or agricultural sciences is required; a Master’s degree is preferred;
- Experience working in Rwanda is highly preferred, regional experience also an asset;
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English are required; Knowledge of Kinyarwanda and/or French is an asset
***Women and Rwandan nationals strongly encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.