Team: Programs | Commitment: Volunteer | Location: Ethiopia
FSC Agronomy Support
CNFA is implementing a USAID funded three-year Feed the Future Ethiopia Farm Service Center Project. USAID provides technical backstopping to the Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) which is establishing about 20 new farm service centers (FSCs) throughout Oromia, Amhara, Tigray and SNNPR. These FSCs are private, retail input and farm service supply businesses that serve as an innovative and replicable model for scaling up private farm input and service networks in Ethiopia and throughout Africa. In addition, the project is strengthening the apex wholesale buying entity, EGAA Agricultural Input Suppliers PLC (EGAA), which was formed under the Commercial Farm Service Program and has been designed to streamline the inventory needs of the FSCs from multinational suppliers.
- Develop a well-reviewed, edited and enriched agrochemicals specification catalogue to enhance FSC staff, frontline government extension agents and smallholders’ understanding of agro-chemical application.
- Visit selected Farm Service Center (such as Fiche FSC) to comprehend agricultural inputs and services provided through FSCs;
- Meet with agricultural extension agents and small holder farmers near to Fiche FSC;
- Develop agro-chemicals specifications/labels catalogue and;
- Presentation on the final chemicals catalogue prepared.
Desired Qualifications of the Volunteer
- Minimum of BSc. Degree in Crop Protection and Production, Plant Pathology, Entomology, Weed Science, or relevant field of study and with minimum of 10 years work experience in relevant task; MSc /PhD is preferred;
- Proven experience in pesticides (fungicide, insecticide and herbicide) handling and usage, improved crop production and protection methods within the context of smallholder farmers;
- Proven experience in leading and facilitating seminars and presentations;
- Exposure to USAID or other donor-funded programs is a plus;
- Good communication skills;
- Excellent personal and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently to agreed deadlines & a strong work ethic;
- Excellent levels of time and self-management;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Practical experience most appreciated;
- Must be citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.