Team: Programs | Commitment: Consultant | Location: Lahore, Pakistan
International E-Beam Food Irradiation Technology Specialist
The U.S.-Pakistan Partnership for Agricultural Market Development (AMD) activity in Pakistan is a USAID funded activity implemented by CNFA with the goal of supporting the development of Pakistan’s commercial agriculture, particularly through improving the ability of Pakistan’s agriculture and livestock sectors to meet both international and domestic demand and requirements in targeted product lines in citrus, mango, high value/off season vegetables and livestock. AMD envisions transforming the four targeted product lines into efficient, private sector-led value chains that deliver competitive products to domestic and export markets. AMD’s targeted training, matching grants, and technical assistance will leverage private sector investment and encourage innovation. Together, these approaches will support upgrading, streamline supply chains, optimize profit margins, increase participation of women entrepreneurs, and ultimately make Pakistani mango, citrus, meat and HV/OSV more profitable and more competitive.
Objective of the Technical Assistance
The objective of this assignment is to provide technical input to the AMD team to design and develop working models, a 3 year program budget and implementation strategies with timelines which meet international norms and recommendations and to increase gender equity for the proposed interventions for setting up an E-Beam food irradiation facility. During the international consultants field work, the consultant will conduct a survey of stakeholders who indicated a willingness to participate in the AMD program and submitted letters of support with the aim to confirm their interest as participants. As part of the STTA assignment, the international consultant will set aside 3 work days to assist the AMD Grants team in finalizing the technical part of the RFAs. Home office work days will be coordinated with the AMD Grants Manager and will be completed by September30, 2016. The target issue date of the RFA is October 01, 2016.
The STTA will also support and guide AMD technical team through development of SoP, quality assessment templates and processing of winter vegetables for export through trial sea shipment as planned during December 2016 to January 2017. STTA will provide the analysis of market demand of vegetables in regional and distant high end markets for export potential of fresh and processed vegetables from Pakistan.
Assignment Scope: The STTA tasks will include but not be limited to:
- Background reading of AMD Work Plan and published studies on previous value chain and marketing assessments of related agriculture in Pakistan (Provided);
- Develop work plan for execution of STTA in consultation with AMD staff and submit to COP and CTA for approval;
- Assist the AMD team in designing and developing the working model, budget and program implementation strategy for developing the RFA / grant for setting up an E-Beam food irradiation facility;
- Provide technical support to the Grants Manager in the development of the technical part of the final RFA document for publication;
- Along with E beam irradiation facility development process the International consultant will help the AMD technical team develop a plan to ship 10 tons of vegetables via ocean reefer container to identified GCC market.
- Visit to vegetable processing units and meetings with exporters of vegetables in Punjab and Karachi.
- Meeting with APFVA in Karachi and other stakeholders in Sindh and Punjab to identify potential cost share partners for conducting sea shipment of vegetables.
- Development of SoPs for handling, processing, packaging, and loading of reefer container for mix of vegetables for export to GCC market.
- Protocols and SoPs for SPS, quarantine, food safety, hygiene and health for processing and export of vegetables.
- Identification of various vegetables as compatible in mix load of reefer.
- Recommendation with specifications of packaging materials according to temperature requirements of identified vegetables.
- Provide a briefing to AMD staff on relevant findings and composition of final report;
- Any other tasks assigned by the Chief Technical Advisor relating to design and development of interventions for setting up an E-Beam food irradiation facility & export of vegetables through sea shipments.
- Develop a detailed assignment work plan for the STTA;
- Finalize working model included potential product mix, seasonality, programmatic budget, operational details, technical specifications and program implementation strategy for setting up an E-Beam Food Irradiation plant in Pakistan;
- Report identifying mix of products to be processed through E Beam irradiation with identified international markets;
- Detailed cost benefit analysis for proposed E Beam facility with IRR or ROI with the assistance of AMD financial analyst within the LOE of assignment.
- Submit final report on technical assistance given under the STTA with power point presentation(s) using the AMD template within 5 business days of completion of the assignment along with other deliverables listed in this section for review;
- Provide technical support to AMD Grants and the AMD team for final RFA development for the intervention of setting up an E-Beam Food Irradiation plant in Pakistan.
- Detailed work plan for the sea shipment export of vegetables with templates for the assessment of arrival quality at import destination.
- An advanced degree in the field of food sciences or horticulture;
- Extensive experience in the field of food irradiation and E-beam technology, irradiation facilities, and familiarity with manufacturers, processors and exporters of products suitable for E-beam treatment
- More than 15 years of professional practical experience working in the field of horticulture and 5 years in field of food sciences and food irradiation;
- Requisite prior experience of working at senior level consulting assignments with USAID
- In-depth knowledge of environmental requirements for food processing and their proper mitigation;
- Experience in developing countries on designing and development of food processing facilities, horticultural projects;
- Excellent English writing skills and oral fluency.
Timing of the Assignment:
The STTA will commencing on or about November 1, 2016 and will continue through the end of December 2016 for RFA support (Deliverable VI).
We are seeking to fill this position immediately and will be interviewing qualified candidates on a rolling basis. Deadline for submission is September 23rd.