Team: Programs | Commitment: Consultant | Location: Pakistan
International Feedlot Management Software Expert
The U.S.-Pakistan Partnership for Agricultural Market Development (AMD) activity in Pakistan is a USAID funded activity implemented by CNFA with the goal of supporting the development of Pakistan’s commercial agriculture, particularly through improving the ability of Pakistan’s agriculture and livestock sectors to meet both international and domestic demand and requirements in the four targeted product lines: citrus, mango, high value/off season vegetables and livestock. AMD envisions transformation of these four targeted product lines into efficient, private sector-led value chains that deliver competitive products to domestic and export markets. AMD’s targeted training, matching grants, and technical assistance will leverage private sector investment and encourage innovation. Together, these approaches will support upgrading, streamlining of supply chains, optimization of profit margins, increase in the participation of women entrepreneurs, and ultimately making Pakistani mango, citrus, meat and HV/OSV more profitable and competitive.
The objective of this assignment is to provide technical support and system management skills to the AMD team with developing a Traceability database for the integrated supply chain of the meat sector. This database is intended for the private sector AMD grantees from the beef-producing commercial feedlot fattening farms and meat processing businesses. The consultant will design and develop the system with a workable model parallel to the needs of each individual business, and then link all data to a central database. The consultant will also be required to submit detailed, step-wise implementations manuals for both usage levels: access at business level and access to centrally held data.
Technical assistance of an International Traceability Specialist is needed to develop a user-oriented database system for feedlot and value added businesses that would trace the backward supply of animals, supply chain of feed and feed ingredients, and animal health/weight-gain/breed. The system should have the capacity to manage data from feedlot farms with a production capacity of 500+ steers per batch, and value added businesses on a commercial scale.
This STTA assignment is scheduled for a period of 30 days, during which the Consultant will develop a workable plan to implement the Traceability system from Feedlot Operations level to Packaging at processing plants.
- Background reading of AMD Work Plan and published studies on value chain and marketing assessments of related agriculture in Pakistan;
- Hold meetings with relevant feedlot farmers and processors pre-selected through the AMD grant program, and relevant stakeholders from public and private sector;
- Recommend and develop a system to record incoming and outgoing animal data, including weight, bos-taurus/bos-indices character to allow the feedlot to capture and monitor data, all the way to carcass weight. This will be for all feedlot and value added businesses at an individual level, and then at the central database level;
- Assist in developing the software to allow the feedlot and value added businesses to capture meat quality parameters;
- Implement usage of software that will trace where the cows are purchased, weight, age, body type, and genetics to assist the feedlot owner to be able to better informed when purchasing cattle in the future;
- Any other tasks assigned by the COP or Senior Technical Advisor.
- Extensive international experience of having worked on Integrated Supply Chain of Meat sector;
- Requisite prior experience of working at senior level consulting assignments with donor funded projects with a focus on developing Traceability database for Feedlot Fattening farms and value added private sector partners;
- Experience of working in developing countries, especially possessing design and development expertise/ experience in developing Traceability in Feedlot and Value added business of Meat Supply Chain;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team with interpersonal and communication skills;
- Documented report writing skills and Oral fluency in English.
We are seeking to fill this position immediately and will be interviewing qualified candidates on a rolling basis.