Team: CNFA Europe | Commitment: Career | Location: Global
Program Development Manager
CNFA Europe seeks a Program Development Manager looking for an exciting opportunity to effect change globally and be a key member of an exciting growth-phase of the organization. We are looking for a motivated professional with strong experience coordinating and writing European donor and institutionally-funded agricultural development proposals for both grants and contracts. The Program Development Manager is an integral member of a small team that is responsible for developing proposals for agricultural development projects globally funded by a variety of European donors and clients such as GIZ, EC, EIB, World Bank, AFD, DFID, SDC, SIDA, and others. This is a mid to senior level position. The primary responsibility for this position is to manage proposal development efforts, serve as contributing or lead technical writer; investigate relevant issues and competitive landscapes for new project opportunities (including through in-country fact-finding travel), oversee budget preparation, recruiting, subcontracting, and logistics for proposals; and help identify and nurture new business opportunities. The responsibilities may apply across multiple concurrent business development efforts, depending on the size or complexity of individual bids.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities: Proposal Development
- Ensures efficient development and submission of clear, readable, and responsive technical and financial proposals, integrating materials written by other proposal team members.
- Oversees or conducts budgeting of proposed project costs.
- Oversees, and helps conduct, recruitment of candidates for proposed project positions.
- Moves from one assignment to another over time according to the ebb and flow of opportunities and the current portfolio of proposals under development.
- Conducts research and participates in “reconnaissance” trips to countries in the region to gather information for new proposals, recruit project staff, and market CNFA Europe to prospective clients and partner organizations.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities: Proposal Writing
- Lead technical writing/design of proposals.
- Drafts proposal sections, independently and/or with other contributors.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities: Representation and Partnership Development
- Using existing industry contacts, position CNFA as an effective development partner and service provider with a wide variety of traditional development donors, institutions, as well as the private sector.
- Build new cross-sectoral partnerships that extend development impact and organizational business growth
Specific Roles and Responsibilities: Best Practice Development
- Lead best practice processes for new program development, including creation of templates, online tools, and team processes that lead to success portfolio growth.
- Participate in, and/or lead, the development, implementation, and marketing of CNFA’s innovative approaches.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Minimum of 7 years’ of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree in agricultural/economic development, international development, business administration or relevant field; 5 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree preferred.
- Proven writing skills and documented track record of developing successful program and proposals with major European donors, foundations and institutions, and an existing network across these respective organizations.
- High motivation to incorporate innovations and best practices into new program design.
- Thorough understanding of M4P/Market Systems and Value Chain Approaches
- Knowledge of EU Technical Assistance contracts and other European development partner procurement policies and regulations.
- Experience will all or many of existing clients/donors, such as GIZ, DFID, AFD, World Bank, EU.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently/remotely with demonstrated ability to multi-task while maintaining rigorous attention to detail.
- Strong teamwork skills and competitive instincts
- Ability to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
- Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings
- Ability to develop strong trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time
- Previous experience living/working in a developing country, preferably with some program management experience.
- Well-developed interpersonal and multi-cultural skills to deal with a wide variety of people at all levels
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrable ability to prioritize among multiple competing requests
- Sense of humor and desire to work in a fast-paced, passionate environment
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; strong Internet research capabilities
- Fluency in English; proficiency in at least one other language (French, German, and/or Arabic highly desirable)
Location and Remuneration: This position can be based remotely in Europe or Africa. TBD with each candidate. Compensation is competitive within the industry.