Team: Programs | Commitment: Full-time | Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Senior Agronomist/Deputy Chief of Party
Program Description Feed the Future Rwanda Hinga Weze
The primary objective of the Feed the Future Rwanda Hinga Weze activity is to sustainably increase smallholder farmers’ income, improve nutritional status of Rwandan women and children, and increase the resilience of the agriculture and food systems to the changing climate.
The Senior Agronomist/Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) will manage implementation of the agricultural productivity component of the activity. S/he will also provide technical expertise in identifying and designing key interventions around climate-smart agriculture, nutrition-sensitive agricultural approaches and their integration into the production, access to finance and market development interventions. The Senior Agronomist/DCoP will also serve as the key liaison with the Rwanda Agriculture Board and will work closely with local government officials to ensure smooth implementation of Hinga Weze at the district level. As the DCoP, the Senior Agronomist will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) to manage the day-to-day operations of the activity. In the absence of the COP, the DCOP will assume full responsibility for the activity.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture/agronomy, or other related field of study such as environment, natural resource management, or international development is required; a master’s degree in agricultural sciences is preferred;
- 7 years’ professional experience in developing countries, some of which should be in Africa, in food security and agronomy in managing or implementing development programs. Experience with East Africa or Rwanda agriculture sector is an asset;
- Solid foundation in a broad range of agriculture subjects preferred, including areas such as agriculture economics, agriculture policy, agribusiness, agronomy, agriculture extension, and market development;
- Familiarity with nutrition sensitive and climate smart agriculture concepts highly desirable preferred;
- Experience in designing or managing sustainable agricultural production systems is preferred;
- Familiarity with agriculture research integration in project implementation, and experience working to improve private and public extension systems;
- Strong verbal and written skills in English are required. Knowledge of French and Kinyarwanda is an asset;
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
We are looking to fill this position immediately and will be interviewing qualified candidates on a rolling basis.
Women and Rwandan Nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.