Team: Programs | Commitment: Career | Location: Egypt
Senior Technical Advisor
The Food Security and Agribusiness Support (FAS) program is a five year, $23 million USAID funded program implemented by CNFA in Egypt. The goal of FAS is to increase agriculture-related incomes of smallholder farmers in Upper Egypt. The program will achieve this goal by implementing a market-driven approach that facilitates sustainable, pro-poor value chain development and helps smallholders increase access to domestic and export markets. The market-driven approach will be supported by four interrelated components: 1) improved on-farm production, 2) more efficient post-harvest processes, 3) improved marketing of agriculture crops and products, and 4) improved nutritional status, especially for women and children.
The FAS program works with smallholder farmers Upper Egypt, with offices in Luxor, Aswan, and Menia.
The Senior Technical Advisor will provide strategic support for key priorities of the FAS project. Specifically, the position will support technical aspects of the grants program, support capacity building of farmer associations/cooperatives, lead FAS gender activities, and lead/support special projects as directed by the COP. The position reports to the FAS COP and coordinates closely with the Grants Manager and Associations/Cooperatives Technical Advisor. The position will be based in Upper Egypt (Luxor, Aswan, or Menia).
- Provide technical support to FAS grant applicants including private sector companies, input suppliers, and farmer associations/cooperatives. Provide support to applicants in understanding the grants program and application process, developing concept notes, and developing full proposals, including business plans.
- Provide ongoing support to FAS grant recipients to build capacity and ensure the success of grant-supported activities as defined in the grant agreement.
- Lead the FAS program’s gender activities. Develop and implement a gender strategy for the program focusing on best practices in gender inclusive value chain development.
- Monitor grant recipients to ensure compliance with the Working Women’s Policy as incorporated in the grant agreement.
- Support farmer associations/cooperatives in developing strategic and sustainable plans for managing market-driven growth.
- At the direction of the COP, provide strategic management and technical support to special projects. Special projects may promote integration across program components, provide extra resources to meet key objectives or address implementation challenges, and/or respond to requests/priorities from USAID or CNFA HQ. Contribute to project reporting by providing inputs as requested, including gender-related inputs to the quarterly report and annual workplan.
- Assist in the technical review and analysis of all FAS studies and reports as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- International experience with relevant business and gender focused activities required;
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field required;
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant international work experience in private sector; development, institutional capacity building, strategy and gender policy development;
- Experience in financial analysis and business plan development;
- Prior USAID or other international donor experience preferred;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe applications;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Authorization to work in Egypt or Egyptian nationals strongly preferred;
- Oral and written fluency in Arabic and English required.