Team: Operations and Compliance | Commitment: Career | Location: Washington DC
Staff Accountant – Payroll
The Staff Accountant – Payroll will be based out of the DC Home Office and will be responsible for all payroll related activities. This position works closely under the direction and supervision of the Corporate Controller in order to carry out all necessary financial management and fiscal control policies and activities for administration. Performs all activities necessary to process payroll, including maintain related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing special reports for management.
Position Responsibilities & Duties:
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of semi-monthly payroll;
- review and ensure accuracy of approved timesheets; track and deduct all garnishments and other special payroll deductions;
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, budget and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, e.g. labor” home” work, overtime, leave balances, head count, and retirement contribution reports);
- Handle the administration of the electronic timekeeping system. Setup each employee, valid programs for each employee’s charges, and adherence to FLSA; monitor submissions of approved timesheets, ensure valid data transfers to/from payroll service;
- Setting up new hires and processing terminations;
- Establish/maintain employee records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to APA policy including compliance with federal/state/local regulations;
- Keeps abreast with all US Government requirements and relevant changes associated to Post Deferential, Danger Pay, COLA and other allowances;
- Keeps abreast of current payroll tax requirements and relevant laws associated with the processing of employee wage data, including payroll taxes, employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and other required reporting (SUI, worker’s compensation, deferred benefits, etc);
- Conducts regular payroll reporting as required and assists with financial audits related to pay records and associated general ledger;
- Performs other duties as assigned by Corporate Controller.
- Associate Degree in Business Administration/Finance required, Accounting Degree preferred;
- Three plus years in a Payroll Office performing all payroll functions;
- Excellent skills using MS Word, Excel, Access,
- Experience working in Deltek/Cost point preferred;
- Strong skills using and understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated and automated payroll accounting system;
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines;
- Knowledge of payroll and payroll tax laws;
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA 6;
- Must have the ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact; excellent customer services and interpersonal communication skills; Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work with diverse people groups;
- US Work Authorization Required.
We are looking to fill this position immediately and will be interviewing qualified candidates on a rolling basis.
Please be advised that employment is contingent on your permanent and legal entitlement to work in the U.S. CNFA does not sponsor work visas.