Team: Programs | Commitment: Consulting | Location: Azerbaijan
STTA: Azerbaijan Agritourism & Ecotourism Assessment
The USAID Private Sector Activity (PSA) is a five-year initiative that is utilizing a partnership and co-investment approach to support a more resilient Azerbaijan economy and improve the business enabling environment. Supporting the non-oil sector, by improving the competitiveness of the private sector (with a special emphasis on agriculture and other rural economic activities), building capacity of business support services, and reducing the barriers that hinder the development of micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs), is helping to contribute to a more secure and sustainable Azerbaijani economy. In partnership with the Azerbaijani government and the private sector, PSA is also helping to address their priorities for modernization and improvement of public and private sector support and service delivery. These efforts are supporting the diversification of Azerbaijan’s economy, as well as strengthening the capacity of public institutions to carry out new responsibilities and adjust to institutional change to implement the reforms outlined in the strategic roadmap.
In recent years, both government policy and the private sector have increasingly targeted the tourism sector as an opportunity for investment and development. Having recognized the potential for increased growth in the sector, “Azerbaijan saw 2.6 million visitors in 2017 compared to one million in 2008. The number is expected to exceed three million in 2019.” Azerbaijan has excellent potential for the continued development of its tourism sector, especially in the hitherto less developed domains of agritourism and ecotourism. However, the infrastructure is poor, standards for restaurants and residential homestays are not set or enforced, and international marketing of Azerbaijani destinations and tourism circuits has been minimal. One of PSA’s objectives is to design and implement a set of activities that can help Azerbaijan’s public and private sectors to better address these challenges and enable MSMEs in Azerbaijan to take full advantage of the opportunities available in agri/ecotourism.
CNFA seeks an Azerbaijan Agritourism & Ecotourism Assessment Consultant to assist the USAID Private Sector Activity (PSA) to carry out an assessment on agri/ecotourism, identify the gaps in the selected field and provide recommendations on how to address those gaps. The consultant will focus on agri/ecotourism, in order to draft Agritourism and Ecotourism Assessment (hereinafter “Assessment”), in coordination and collaboration with PSA staff. The consultant’s final report will serve as a road map for PSA interventions.
The consultant will report to the USAID Private Sector Activity’s Chief of Party.
In accordance with the consultancy, the consultant shall:
· Provide a final draft assessment of the agri/ecotourism sector – not later than December 7, 2019;
· Provide a final report, taking into account and addressing CNFA and USAID feedback on Agri/Ecotourism Tourism assessment – no later than December 20, 2019.
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE
The consultancy is planned to take place in November-December 2019. The total level of effort for this assignment will not exceed 20 working days including one trip of at least 12 days to Azerbaijan.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review the existing studies and programs relevant to the tourism sector;
- Conduct an analysis of the existing potential of the sector and identify the most promising directions of agri/ecotourism and develop the recommendations to strengthen them;
- Conduct meetings with the key Governmental Institutions and Development Partners, such as: Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of National Recourses and Environmental Protection, Agro Supply and Procurement Agency, Azerbaijan State Tourism Agency, Ministry of Economic Development, Tourism Institute, GIZ, UNDP, FAO, and EU;
- Develop a methodology and perform a gap analysis for selected potential beneficiaries from the agri/ecotourism value chain;
- Identify current needs of and opportunities for Azerbaijani’s Agritourism activities in terms of practices, infrastructure, and policy that be addressed by the PSA project and/or other USAID agricultural programming
- Debrief the Program staff, USAID and other stakeholders as needed on findings and recommendations.
MANDATORY & DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong professional background in relation to agritourism, ecotourism or related fields, at least 10 years of relevant professional experience, ideally in both the public and private sector;
- Strong academic record related to agritourism and/or ecotourism desirable;
- Demonstrated track record in conducting research and drafting reports and assessments on agritourism and/or ecotourism, including policy for tourism sector development, desirable;
- Proven command of spoken and written the English language;
- Some knowledge of and professional experience in the former Soviet Union and/or the Middle East, as well as knowledge of Azerbaijani, Turkish, or Russian languages, a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. CNFA takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.