Team: Programs | Commitment: Consultant | Location: Lahore, Multan and Karachi, Pakistan
STTA: International Nutrition and Feedlot Specialist
The U.S.-Pakistan Partnership for Agricultural Market Development (AMD) activity in Pakistan is a USAID funded activity implemented by CNFA with the goal of supporting the development of Pakistan’s commercial agriculture, particularly through improving the ability of Pakistan’s agriculture and livestock sectors to meet both international and domestic demand and requirements in targeted product lines in citrus, mango, high value/off season vegetables and livestock. AMD envisions transforming the four targeted product lines into efficient, private sector-led value chains that deliver competitive products to domestic and export markets. AMD’s targeted training, matching grants, and technical assistance will leverage private sector investment and encourage innovation. Together, these approaches will support upgrading, streamline supply chains, optimize profit margins, increase participation of women entrepreneurs, and ultimately make Pakistani mango, citrus, meat and HV/OSV more profitable and more competitive.
Objective of the assignment:
The objectives of this assignment is to provide technical assistance and management knowledge to the AMD team for the continued backstopping grantees to establish commercial feedlot fattening farms for beef production. The Consultant will further suggest best cost ration formulation and educate the farmers on Standard Operating Procedure (SOPs) on feedlot fattening to establish a profitable business.
Consultant will technically assist the feedlot investors on the critical success factors for a feedlot business e.g. least cost feed formulation, fodder production, backward supply of cattle, health program, performance monitoring and marketing of finished cattle through suggesting real based strategies within the fattening business. Furthermore, Standard Operating Procedure for a commercial feedlot fattening farm will also be developed for continued operation of the business.
The consultant will conduct onsite visit to 12 Feedlot Farms approved / shortlisted for AMD in kind grant program. The consultant will also conduct Technical Sessions with in Farmers in Seminars organized in the industry to educate the farmers on Best cost nutrition and improved management practices in feedlot fattening.
In the duration of 25 days STTA assignment, the Consultant will conduct field visits, meetings with stakeholders, Develop Technical protocol and financial model for feedlot fattening.
The STTA tasks will include but not be limited to:
1. Background reading of AMD Work Plan and published studies on previous feedlot studies conducted and marketing assessments of related businesses in Pakistan.
2. On site visits to all AMD granted feedlot businesses and provide consultancy on best cost nutrition through management software program.
3. Oversee Training sessions through BSPs on different modules of Feedlot fattening.
4. Conduct Technical sessions in Farmers Meetings and Seminars in the industry.
5. Field visits and held meetings with private companies / suppliers of feed and silage.
6. Visit in Punjab and Sindh to meet with progressive livestock farmers to understand the cropping patterns and collect required details of information about availability of feed ingredients in different geography of project areas across the year.
7. Visits to a few modern dairies in Pakistan to understand the existing patterns of male progeny marketing and possibility of developing their linkages with the feedlots.
8. Review Technical Material to be published for Farmers through AMD program.
A final report that details the following:
1. Techno feasibility model for developing feedlot business @ 500 animals including farm building and fodder cultivation.
2. Animal species and breed with preferred age and weight.
3. Suggest best cost feed requirements/silage/fodder production for commercial feedlot businesses.
4. Induction health program for the farm against common and most prevalent diseases.
5. Determine best suitable optimal fattening farm management strategies in commercial feedlot taking into account procurement cost, fattening cost, sales price, availability of human resources, compliance of international standards, etc.
6. Technical review of Trainings program on commercial feedlot fattening for key management staff of AMD granted businesses.
7. Review and Produce Technical Material to be published for Feedlot Farmers for their guidance in business management.
8. Evaluate and obtain feedlot management and ration formulation software for feedlots with the capacity of 500-2000 heads. The consultant will further educate the farmers on application of software program in their businesses.
- An advanced degree in the field of Agriculture or livestock.
- Extensive international experience of having worked with commercial Feedlot Fattening Farms.
- Requisite prior experience of working at senior level consulting assignments with donor funded projects with a focus on Feedlot Fattening and Meat Value Chain on cost sharing with private sector partners.
- Experience in developing countries on designing and development expertise/ experience in developing/ operating Feedlot Fattening farms.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team;
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills;
- Documented report writing skills in English;
- Oral fluency in English.