Team: Programs | Commitment: Consulting | Location: Pakistan
STTA: Resource Efficiency & Management Specialist
Project Name: CNFA-PATTA/ Project Number AID-391-C-17-00004
Consultancy Assignment: Provide TA to PATTA Ag Technology companies in Resource Efficiency & Management
Consultant Title: Resource Efficiency & Management Specialist
Reports to: COP/Director, Agricultural Technology / Crop Technology Officer –PATTA
Place of Performance: Lahore, Pakistan with travel to project designated areas
LOE: 21 working days
Est. Period of Performance: July 2019 – through October 2019
The purpose of the Pakistan Agriculture Technology Transfer Project (PATTA) is to identify, support and bring to scale private sector solutions to improve agricultural productivity in Pakistan, through a four-year activity. PATTA will partner with agricultural technologies companies to commercialize product and services that can increase the productivity and competiveness of small holder farmers and mobilize private sector investment in agricultural technology. PATTA’s partnership will give smallholder farmers broader access to affordable technologies to increase productivity, build resilience to climate change and reduce postharvest losses.
The agricultural technology manufacturing sector is at a very rudimentary stage with low productivity, high energy consumption and poor cost competitiveness. The major areas of improvement include worker skills up-gradation, application of industrial engineering principles, certification and standardization, technology upgradation, efficient usage of energy, etc.
All these factors are leading to lower process and labor productivity with high wastage and a high re-work rate, and greater consumption of material and energy resulting in unnecessary costs which is rendering manufacturing units uncompetitive in local and international markets.
Process / operations productivity is one of the greatest issues and has never been taken in to account as an important element in resource efficiency of the manufacturing units, mostly due to lack of awareness and management capacity. Many of these manufacturing units grew from small to medium industries, but the expansion was not well-planned in most of the cases of the SME sector – contrary to the industrial engineering principles. Therefore, major problems exist in the layout, process flow and product flow of manufacturing units, causing low productivity. Energy wastage is another issue found across various agricultural technology manufacturing processes and is due to under-utilized and manual controls on machines.
Keeping in view existing issues, PATTA intends to provide technical assistance to manufacturing units to improve process/operations efficiency through the implementation of resource efficiency and management assistance by addressing/improving productivity and energy losses and emission control procedures which follow environmental best practices, health and safety parameters.
Objectives of the Technical Assistance:
The objective of this consultancy is to work with 4-6 agricultural technology companies in Pakistan to improve their processes, operations and productivity by introducing innovative tools and good manufacturing practices. The consultant will facilitate the reduction of energy consumption by conducting detailed energy audits and making appropriate recommendations for improving the efffiecincy of agricultural manufacturing tools and related practices.
Assignment Scope (including but not limited to):
- Coordinate with the PATTA Technology Development team for development of work plan including stakeholder visit schedule;
- Collect necessary data related to production and energy consumption
- Analyze and evaluate the current production systems & energy consumption pattern of technology companies along with all processes and operations to identify the existing gaps.
- In each unit, perform all essential activities related to process improvement and energy efficiency improvement including detailed data collection & highlighting energy wastages across various production processes/utilities.
- Measure and collect data & relevant parameters with respect to energy use in power generation, electrical distribution system, capacitor banks, electric motors, pumps, compressors, furnace, lux levels, power quality parameters (harmonics etc.) and thermal imaging of distribution system.
- Impart in-house awareness, orientation and training session for employees and management of each unit, required for effective implementation of resource efficiency and management. .
- Develop posters, pamphlets, and other informative material required for information and implementation of the said systems for the workers and management.
- Develop a detailed work plan for the STTA assignment within 2 days of assignment commencement
- Provide 1-page weekly update to the PATTA COP/Director Agricultural Technology/Crop Technology Officer
- Company wise / unit wise assessment and appropriate recommendations to the management of each units describing the specific workable recommendations.
- De-briefing to USAID Pakistan, specific recommendations after the completion of assignment
- Write detailed chapter wise report of each unit encompassing analysis and evaluation of current system/practices and gaps therein with respect to process, wastages and energy consumption reduction. Moreover, the report should provide the way forward, a strategy and action plan for the implementation of energy efficiency improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Engineering/Mechanical Engineering / Industrial Engineering or related field.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in resource efficiency and management practices.
- Experience providing technical assistance to private sector for implementation of productivity tools and energy efficiency is essential.
- Requisite prior experience of working at the senior level in consulting assignments with USAID-funded projects on similar tasks.
- Experience of conducting training sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills.
- Documented report writing skills in English.
- Oral fluency in English.
Estimated level of effort (LOE) for this assignment:
21 working days (inclusive of 2 travel days and up to 4 – 5 days for resource efficiency & management in each technology company)
Interested candidates should submit CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 26, 2019. Kindly clearly mention position title “Resource Efficiency & Management Specialist” in email subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.