Team: New Business | Commitment: Career | Location: Washington DC
Technical Lead – Farmer-to-Farmer
Brief Project Overview
The USAID-support Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) Program combines volunteer consultancies with highly skilled local staff to deliver technical assistance and business development services to farmer organizations, and agricultural MSMEs. Our volunteer consultants are U.S. citizens (or permanent U.S. residents) and comprise of farmers, agribusiness professionals, cooperatives managers, bankers, agricultural educators, and others with expertise in agriculture. The primary goal of the F2F program is to generate rapid, sustainable, broad-based economic growth in the agricultural sector; the secondary goals is to increase the American public’s understanding of international development issues and programs as well as international understanding of the US and US development programs.
**The Technical Lead position will be based in Washington, D.C., but should be prepared to travel up to 20% of the time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Technical Lead will provide technical input, desk and capture research management, and support to the Farmer-to-Farmer bids. S/he will provide technical expertise in identifying and designing key interventions in to the key objectives of the worldwide Farmer-to-Farmer program and will support the Business Development team in obtaining relevant information and updated input from field staff while supporting the process of concept note and proposal writing.
- Provide overall leadership, management, and technical direction of the Farmer-to-Farmer proposals, ensuring that visions and techniques described in the plans integrate up-to-date and contextually specific information regarding the USAID Country Missions’ agricultural plans, relevant national, international, and subnational agricultural and economic growth frameworks, and methods of integrating cross-cutting themes such as gender and youth rural employment.
- Guide the core business development team involved in the research and writing process in the processes of research, communications with other relevant departments and offices, and writing the drafts and final concept notes and proposal; oversee and approve final drafts.
- Work with the Programs and Farmer-to-Farmer teams at the home office in Washington, DC as well as in the field offices to gather all necessary and relevant information to craft a competitive proposal for the upcoming Farmer-to-Farmer worldwide bid.
The Ideal Candidate’s Experience
- Seven (7) years of experience or more in managing and implementing multi-faceted private investments, job creation, and agribusiness development programs
- Experience in the agricultural sector is required, including such areas as agribusiness, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), rural employment, rural and agricultural development, agro-processing, inputs, rural access to finance, and market development.
- Experience in a technical role for a Farmer-to-Farmer program preferred; experience with similar programs may be accepted.
- Experience working on USAID-funded or other international donor-funded projects is preferred;
- Master’s degree in agriculture, business, economics, finance, international development or related field is required;
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa is highly preferred, and other global experience is an asset;
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English are required; knowledge of French or Swahili is an asset.