Team: Programs | Commitment: Career | Location: Niamey, Niger
Value Chain Advisor (Expatriate Position)
General Project Description
Through the Resilience and Economic Growth in the Sahel – Accelerated Growth (REGIS-AG), CNFA offers a robust strategy for strengthening cowpea, small ruminant and poultry value chains (VCs) in agro-pastoralist and marginal agricultural zones of Niger and Burkina Faso. By transforming value chain relationships and dynamics to increase their inclusiveness as well as their competitiveness, REGIS-AG will increase the incomes of vulnerable households and build the resilience of families and communities to shocks such as drought, conflict and economic crises. The CNFA team will develop innovative “pull” strategies linking smallholders to cash markets, in close cooperation with REGIS-Enhanced Resilience (REGIS-ER) production-level “push” strategies to propel vulnerable households from subsistence to food security and surplus. REGIS-AG, a $34.3 million, five-year project is funded by USAID through the Agency’s Feed the Future Initiative.
REGIS-AG’s Value Chain Advisor (VCA) will be responsible for providing strategic vision, leadership and technical assistance in improving the overall performance and inclusiveness of the cowpea, small ruminants and poultry value chains and all other activities related to relevant project components – particularly component 1, which identifies opportunities through value chain and end-market analysis and component 2, which strengthens vertical and horizontal value chain linkages and relationships in selected value chains.
The VCA must read the entire award contract (#AID-625-C-14-00001) and thoroughly acquaint himself with its purpose, terms, conditions, and respective roles of the various parties identified therein, including at a minimum and USAID’s approval requirements. VCA should periodically review the award, award modifications and COR Delegation Letter to maintain familiarity terms, conditions and approval authorities. The CNFA Project Officer will provide the contract, modifications and delegation letter upon employment.
The VCA must develop professional relations with USAID and other USAID project personnel to ensure responsiveness to local Mission Orders and recognition of USAID standard/best practices, especially with regard to local employment terms and salaries.
Specifically, REGIS-AG’s Value Chain Advisor will:
- Supervise all REGIS-AG development efforts with a goal of increasing the competitiveness and inclusiveness of the targeted value chains through a facilitation approach;
- Oversee the implementation of all activities under Component 1, including: support to agribusinesses and lead firms, support for improved coordination and linkages within the value chain, capacity building for improved supply chains and improved productivity, and development of supporting service markets;
- Ensure that REGIS-AG meets all Component 2 deliverables in a timely manner;
- Contribute toward the achievement of contractual deliverables including: annual work plans; quarterly, annual, grant and ad-hoc reports as well as outreach material;
- Collaborate with other REGIS-AG’s staff members to ensure proper coordination between the program components;
- Supervise three value chain leaders;
- Interface and collaborate with the project’s targeted value chain stakeholders, including Government of Niger and the Government of Burkina Faso officials to advance program objectives and activities;
- Participate in grant making process through development, review and implementation of grant projects;
- Lead efforts to promote best practices in value chain development that will reach women, youth, the poor, and the very poor;
- Contribute toward coordination and building synergies with other projects;
- Contribute as a member of the program’s senior management team in terms of defining and implementing program strategy;
- At the request of the COP, represent REGIS-AG as needed at meetings, conference and other networking events in Niger, Burkina Faso and possibly in other countries;
- Perform regular visits to program sites in the four targeted regions;
- Identify and lead the development of innovation and partnership opportunities for the project; and
- Undertake other assignments or tasks at the request of the COP.
Duration of Assignment: Project Life-Cycle or January 2020, whichever comes first
Supervisor: REGIS-AG Chief of Party
Location: Based in Niamey, Niger with frequent trip to project sites in Niger and Burkina Faso